Kingdon House, Tavistock, Devon, is a grade two listed building in an arts and crafts/early modern industrial style. Previously occupied by the Tavistock Printing Company and commissioned by the Duke of Bedford. It was purpose built in 1904 for the Tavistock Gazette, a newspaper serving the local community. Now an arts centre the building continues to serve the community and will now have a clear visual connection to its heritage within the town
Work carried out
The original carved timber typographic sign for the Tavistock Printing Company had decayed leaving only a remnant. From the remaining sign and historic photographs a new hand carved reproduction was fabricated and installed
New lead box gutters and formwork were removed, timber formwork updated and new lead gutters formed, following repairs to decayed roof timbers.
Hamstone coping stones were lifted and repaired. They were then re-laid incorporating a lead dpc to alleviate water saturation in the wall heads. In a section of the coping the original stones had been lost and replaced with cast concrete. New stones were carved for this area and fitted.
Extensive cement pointing has been removed and masonry repointed with lime mortar. This will alleviate moisture being trapped in the wall by the impervious cement and reduce the decay of the soft hurdwick stone.
A large lateral chimney stack to the rear of the building was leaning dangerously and allowing water ingress into the roof and rooms below. The stack was taken down and rebuilt with the inclusion of new lead weatherings and lead tray.
